Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Grande Dame of Chicken Land


This is Rocky, one of my two oldest girls. She is about four years old and still lays every other day.

Rocky may seem like an odd name for a chicken. It's short for Rocket Girl. She was the first in her run of six to learn how to fly - weeks before the others. She would fly in and out of the chicken run and sometimes just sit on top of the fence as the other chicks marveled at her accomplishment. She is a Barred Plymouth Rock, so the name also fits her in another way.

She is my favorite girl. I often carry her about under one arm and bring her out front or over to Bob and Virda Womacks' house to eat the bugs out of the garden. When I put her out in the front yard, people walking and driving by stop and tell me how beautiful she is. She is a classic Barred Rock and if I ever took her to a fair, I'm sure she'd win a prize.

Carrying her around is a job, though. She must weigh about ten pounds!


Here she is with her best friend Pee Wee. They are the same age. Pee Wee, a Rhode Island Red, got her name because she was the runt of the run. Look at her now - another classic beauty. Pee Wee lays the most beautiful light brown eggs.