Friday, April 21, 2006

And now about my foot

A little over four weeks ago, I stepped out my front door to warm up Mona’s car before she left for work and stepped on a well-camouflaged patch of ice. It seems weird talking about a wintery day’s accident when we almost hit 80 yesterday, but that’s how it is in Ohio. We are bordered by Canada on the north and Kentucky on the south.

It happened just as I was turning to go back into the house to get the keys that I had forgotten. As I started to slip, the left ankle buckled in and I heard and felt something snap. Visions of Fred Schenck flashed through my head as I went down. Fred had a similar fall on his way to church a couple years back and was in a cast for over a year. I also had visions of me hemorrhaging money in the waiting room of some orthopedic surgeon.

I crawled back into the house shouting, “Help me! Help me!” I knew no one had seen me fall. Inside they were getting ready for work and school. Mona got me a bag of ice and dropped the kid on her way to work. They were both running late. I was left to my own resources.

I didn’t think I had a fracture, but I thought I would know better after I had iced it for twenty minutes. I tested it when I was done. No shooting pains, but I couldn’t put weight on it. I needed a cane. I remembered a long broomstick we had in the laundry room. I crawled down the stairs and hopped across the laundry room to where I knew it was. It wasn’t the solution I had hoped it would be. It was awkward and hard to grip. I used it to get back upstairs. I called Angie Schenck to see if Fred was done with Jack Birch’s old cane. She dropped it off and suggested I see a doctor. By this time, I was pretty sure it was only a sprain. “Sprains can be worse than fractures,” she said. Oh boy, just what I needed to hear.

So here we are, almost a month later. I thought I’d be healed in two weeks. With daily heat treatments and ibuprofen, I’m almost better, but I keep doing stupid things to impede my recovery. A few days ago, I felt almost 100% cured. So I mowed the front lawn, which was rapidly becoming the neighborhood eyesore. That night the ankle was sore again. The next morning it was not so good. I babied it again for a couple days and got back to where it was pretty good again. Walter and I spent the morning in Springfield, where I walked all around Office Depot, Wal*mart and Mier. Then last night, Lucy wouldn’t go back in her cage to sleep and I had to chase her all over the house. This morning it is sore again.

In a few days we will be going to Florida, where I had hoped to get in a little tennis. A week after we get back, we are leaving for three weeks in Asia, where I will walk for miles and miles. Last week we went to the flea market, where I found this really neat made-in-China cane for five bucks. I told Mona it looks so cool, I might just continue to use it after I am better.

So here’s my question: Are they going to let me bring this cane on the plane?










-Harry