Thursday, April 27, 2006

I dreamed I won a marathon


In 1980, I ran the New York City Marathon in 3:42:52. I was 36 years old and weighed 134 lbs. I finished in the middle of the pack of 12,000 runners who partook in the event. You’ll notice I did not use the word competed. I finished to the applause of thousands of strangers, but no one I knew was there to greet me. I drove home alone in my ’76 Maverick and watched Alberto Salazar win it on the six o’clock news.

First Name -- Last Name -- Sex/Age -- Place -- Time --- Pace

ALBERTO ----- SALAZAR --- M22 --------- 1 -------- 2:09:41 -- 4:56
VIRGIL ---------- HERVEY----- M36 --------- 6279 --- 3:42:52 -- 8:30

(1980 results from the official New York Marathon archives)

The next year I developed tendonitis in my right knee during training for a second go at it, ran anyway, and dropped out at the 8 mile mark. I took the subway back to Central Park, arriving in time to see Alberto Salazar cross the finish line in record breaking time. I would never run again.

These days I weigh in at a hefty 200 lbs. Last night I dreamed I won the Chicago Marathon. Maybe it had something to do with the tendonitis I’m developing in my left ankle. The crowd was sparse, but at least Mona was there to cheer me on.